Most people think that being qualified is for home buyers and that it means being pre-approved for a mortgage. Being qualified is not just for buyers, sellers also need to be qualified!
Sure, anyone who owns a property can sell it (assuming there are
no legal restrictions) but owning a property does not make for a “qualified” seller. In real estate, the definition of qualified is “ready, willing, and able.” Buyers and sellers both need to be ready, willing, and able; that means financially, logistically and emotionally.
Here are some questions to answer to determine if you are qualified to sell:
1. Do you have enough equity in your house to cover closing and moving costs or else have enough cash to bring to the closing table?
2. Are you and everyone involved committed to selling? Do your spouse and/or children want to move? Do you have adult children who have their own ideas about the house and what you should be doing?
3. Is your house ready to go on the market? Has it been de-cluttered with everything in working condition, fixed or replaced, fresh paint, refinished floors, lighting, landscaping, etc., with updates that will appeal to today’s buyers?
4. If you plan to sell “as is” and are you willing to reflect that in your list price?
5. Do you have a place to go when you sell?
6. Do you have the money/financing to buy a new property before you close on your current home?
7. If you need to sell before you can buy, is temporary housing a realistic option for you, your family, pets…until you can find the right home? Inventory is extremely low right now, it could take a while.
8. Are you willing and able to make some compromises/trade-offs?
9. Do you have a realistic understanding of the current market and will you listen to feedback?
10. Are you ready to detach yourself from the memories you made in the house?
Selling your home is a lot of work and can certainly be stressful. Making sure you are qualified/ready, willing and able will make the process easier and result in a better outcome for everyone involved!
Marilyn Messenger is a licensed real estate broker, Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer Representative, and Certified Luxury Homes Marketing Specialist/Million Dollar Guild Member associated with Andrew Mitchell and Company, Concord. With 25+ years of experience in Concord, Sudbury, Wayland, Maynard, Stow and the towns west of Boston, Marilyn will make the selling and/or buying process efficient and cost effective for you. Visit for more.